Tuesday, January 12, 2016

How to Dress in the Pinup or Rockabilly Style on a Budget

  I am a plus size woman and I like to dress in the Pinup or Rockabilly style. My problem is that it is expensive!!! Extremely so! Here are a few of my tips.

1.  Shop Torrid during their BOGO half off clearance sale. You earn Haute Cash ($25 for every $50 you spend) that can then be turned around later and be used to purchase the newer stocked items for $25.00 off every $50.00 you spend. 

Now I only do this once a year and I make sure that I cover both my summer and winter clothing. So dresses that can be worn with leggings underneath and with sweaters or shrugs over them. Skirts that can be winter or summer with the add of leggings and jeans that can be rolled up in the summer. Shop both online and in the store. I have found that in the store the sales clerks are more than willing to help you find all that you need and often the clearance prices are lower in the store. I also shop online after going into the store because sometimes the store does not have certain items or they are out of stock in my size. My teenage daughter is on the cusp of plus size so she comes along too, which saves me even more money!

Be careful with the Haute Cash though. Only one can be redeemed online at a time unless you call their 1-800 number to order.  Also the Haute Cash does expire. 

 Another tip is to go to http://www.giftcardgranny.com/ and purchase a discounted Torrid gift card or ecode.  You can save up to 30% at times depending on how much you want to spend.  The ecode normally can be printed out and used in the store. 

 2.  Shop Hot Topic during their BOGO for $1.00 clearance or their 50% off sale. I adore this dress brand called Hell Bunny. It is the total Pinup/Rockabilly style and you can often get their dresses BOGO for $1.00. Then they give you what they call HOTCASH. It is the same as Torrid, but it is  $15.00 for every $30.00, $30.00 for every $60.00, $45.00 for every $90.00, etc. you spend. Be careful with keeping an eye on the dates to spend your HOTCASH.  It expires.  You can then turn around and use it to buy that other Hell Bunny dress that was not on sale or those POP Funko figures your daughter wants and stash them away for her birthday or Christmas.

Hot Topic also has some very cute headbands and hair accessories.  I often stock up on these during their BOGO free sale in the store.  Hot Topic does have some very cute jewelry, but it is cheaply made and either breaks or tarnishes quickly. 

 The Hell Bunny is not the only Pinup/Rockabilly brand they carry either.  So be sure to check out everything in your size. Be aware that the Hell Bunny runs about two sizes too small.  So order up. 


3. Lane Bryant.  I am not a huge fan of their clothing at all.  I love their bras though.   I wait for their buy two get two free.  I also like their coats and jackets.  I wait for those to go on clearance.  Usually after the first of the year.  

 4. Kohls is not my choice most of the time for clothing, but I have found a few items for myself now and then. If you need staples (black skirt, cardigans, etc.) or office clothes, then definitely take advantage of their sales when they offer Kohls Cash in return. The catch is it is only $10.00 per $50.00 you spend. But if you use that Kohls cash with a coupon during one of their sales you can make out quite well. They do let you use your Kohls Cash on clearance items and earn Kohls Cash with clearance items.

5. Go to Walmart or Target for the basics. Need a black cardigan or shrug, some leggings, etc. This is where I go for these things. I also look online at their end of season clearance. I just got a set of 2 cotton camis from Walmart for $5.25 and black leggings on clearance for $6.93.   A simple black cardigan or pencil skirt can easily be enhanced with some cute swallow or cherry patches sewn on by hand. 

6. Payless shoes actually have some pretty cute shoes, including flats, wedges and boots and they stand up well. I wait until they have the BOGO 1/2 sale. My daughter and I both wear size 11 and I have a wide foot so it is extremely hard to find shoes for us both.

7. When shopping online sign up for Ebates.  It can be used at Hot Topic, Torrid, Lane Bryant, Amazon, Ebay, Walmart, Target, Etsy, etc.  You basically get cash back.  It is a percentage depending on what you spend and each site is different.  You get a check sent to you.  You do have to sign up.  Here is a link.http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=xkpIXxNY0OMPAZNPq1%2B6FA%3D%3D&eeid=28187

8. Thrift stores. I am a thrift store junkie! My daughter and I have both found adorable, never been worn shoes at thrift stores in our size. Crazy, I know! Cato which also does plus sizes makes the cutest wedges and I guess our local thrift store gets their clearance items. Target also gives them their clearance items. I have purchased brand new Converse there.

Thrift stores can be a little harder when it comes to clothes. Some thrift stores don't even separate their plus size. Most do and are learning. The problem is you have to have patience, you have to really pay attention and you have to try it on.

 Another good thing to look for at thrift stores is accessories! Purses are not a big thing for me. I have one I love and when it falls apart I get a new one (I like to get handmade ones on Etsy).  My daughter, however, loves them and is always on the look out. Jewelry can be hit or miss for sure. I however have found that most vintage jewelry is pretty cheap. Earrings that are clip back or screw on have to be converted, but I make my own jewelry so that is not a problem for me. Scarves are pretty easy to find if you like to accessorize with those. Belts are harder for the plus size girl, but I always look. My favorite is the little makeup bags. I have an addiction! Sunglasses can be hit or miss too, but it is always good to look.

9. Yard sales. Now yard sales are harder for the plus size gal to find clothes at. I shop them often for my vintage store, so I happen upon things from time to time. Accessories and purses are what I usually find  sometimes shoes. Don't forget to haggle. People price things expecting people to do so. Don't low ball so low you insult the seller, but don't be afraid to ask for a lower price.

10.  Make your own clothing/jewelry/accessories. I make my own jewelry. It's easier than you would think and I am extremely frugal about it by using Michael's coupons. Michael's almost always has a 40% off coupon every week. They sometimes offer a 50% coupon and sometimes a 20% off your entire purchase. I get their emails so I know what is on sale and check it often. 








I also buy bulk chain, findings (earring blanks, ring blanks, earring hooks, o-rings, clasps, etc.) and charms on Etsy.

Hair accessories are my fave and can make an outfit. I like to do big flowers. I get my findings (bobbypin blanks or barrette blanks) for these on Etsy and then get my flowers at Michael's or sometimes even the dollar store. Just add some hot glue and you are good to go.

11. I am going to start to try sewing dresses on my own. I have always made my own and my kids Halloween costumes and now Cosplay. I can follow a pattern and sew a straight line. I will do some practice first on some scrap fabric I have to make sure I understand the pattern correctly, but I am determined to do this. Joann's also has a 40% off coupon every week and I can check there for fabric. Etsy and Ebay are also good places to get fabric. Joann's often has sales on patterns which I will also take advantage of.

12. For makeup, a great program to try is Ipsy. It's $10.00 month shipped and you get around 5 products to try. Most are regular size, some trial. You can adjust your settings on your profile to try and get more of the products you like. I had mine set at my age 46 and they kept sending me eye creams, etc. I wanted more lipsticks and eyeshadow, so I went in and changed my age. I have received a lot of products that I wouldn't normally try.

For a some great tutorials on Pinup/Rockabilly style makeup I love youtuber Cherry Dollface .

13. Change up your hairstyles. I found a youtuber I really like,  A Vintage Vanitywho does great tutorials on hairstyles and I plan to try as many as I can. It does not require me to cut my hair, just to be adventurous and probably not try to do it the same night I have plans to go out. 

14.  I suggest signing up for all the stores email lists that you are interested in.  Most of them send out coupons and they definitely will let you know when there is a sale. 

15. Ebay.  Ebay is pretty hit or miss for me.  I try to stay away from clothing overseas as it usually is not well made and always runs small.  Selling items you no longer fit or wear is a great way to make money for a new wardrobe of course.  

16.  Etsy.  I sell on Etsy in two stores.  I have https://www.etsy.com/shop/RockingRetroRarities, which is my vintage shop.  I just opened it, but will be filling it soon with all kinds of vintage goodies, including jewelry, purses and clothing.  The main focus will however be vintage home decor and kitchen ware. 

I also own this Etsy store.  .https://www.etsy.com/shop/SenoraMuertos  This shop will carry my handmade goods including jewelry and hair accessories.  It will also have some of my Dia De Los Muertos inspired art.  

As I said before I also buy jewelry, jewelry findings, handmade purses and even my gorgeous vintage prescription cat eye glasses.  The plus size clothing is incredible and a lot of people do custom orders as well.  







No comments:

Post a Comment